Thanks to very generous donations from alumni who received The Nottingham Connection in 2006, we are able to cover the costs of mailing this newsletter and offer $3,389 to teachers who submitted grant requests. We received 18 requests, a huge increase over last year.
Grant requests will be available for your review on the Nottingham High School web site, http://weblink.scsd.us/~nottingham/home.html
In reviewing the requests, several thoughts
struck us. First, today's educational environment with its
classes on Web design, child development, digital photography
and diversity seems worlds away from our high school
education years ago. Secondly, in spite of the amount of
technology provided by its funding sources, an urban school
still falls short in its resources. Third, teachers are
responding with enthusiasm and creativity and rising to the
challenges of meeting the needs of an extraordinary mix of
students, who come from professional - often Syracuse University
connected - families, from families living on minimum wage or
below and from many immigrant and refugee families with little
English. Fourth, we admired the initiatives of the
teachers and wished we could grant all the requests. However,
that would require almost $4,000 more than we had to offer. We
made partial grants to many teachers and said No to the request
from the aquatics supervisor for a kayak and paddles even though
we admired her goals. Perhaps alums will see ways to help with
this request and to complete some of the other requests. Please
feel free to email individual teachers and learn more about
their projects. We are also aware that the school PTSO has an
ambitious wish list of items it would love to obtain for the
school. See the web site
http://weblink.scsd.us/~nottingham/home.html or e-mail Molly
Grant requests from teachers:
1) Head sets for ESL users of computer programs that enhance their grasp of English.
Zoe Kinney 428-0218 email@example.com
Request $113 Grant: $113.00
2) Elizabeth Unislawski EUnislawski@scsd.us,
Science Dept., requests a DVD/VCR Combo player to enhance
student learning by illustrating real world connections to
material being covered.
Request $175.99 Grant: $176.00
3) Spanish Language teacher, Lisa
Spanish Video Karaoke to enhance foreign language learning.
Request: $450 Grant: $250.00
4) Lynette Planette 435-4474 firstname.lastname@example.org, Business department, has students fundraising to buy exciting software that will give them virtual business experience in running a sports stadium. The total cost will be $894.
Request: any part of $894 we can fund. Grant: $250
5) Jenniffer Banker-Benedetto
requests support for transportation and other costs
involving teaching issues of class and race in the American
culture, a cooperative effort between Nottingham High School,
Fayetteville Manlius High School, and Syracuse University.
Request: $500 Grant: $250
6) Lorrie Paratore LParatore@scsd.us gives vivid descriptions of how 3D arts students will benefit from purchase of mosaic supplies to benefit 3D arts students. Request: $300 Grant: $150
7) Lucia D Ashley, a new health teacher at Nottingham, 315-435-4380, LAshley@scsd.us requests videos and other materials for her Child Development classes.
Request: $452.90 Grant: $250
8) Randy Weatherby, technology teacher, RWeatherby@scsd.us requests new cameras for digital photography learning.
Request: $500 Grant: $200
9) Jilene M Rotolo, Aquatics Supervisor, JRotolo@scsd.us requests a kayak and 2 paddles to enable more students to participate in activities which expand physical skills and awareness of opportunities beyond their normal horizons.
Request: $361.57 Grant $0
10) Katie Gang, Business teacher, MGang@scsd.us requests installation of Desktop Publisher on 28 computers to assist students and Nottingham staff in a variety of ways including creation of a newsletter and enhancing current relationship between Nottingham and SU’s Whitman School of Management. Request: $439.88 Grant: $250
11) Myriam Ibarra MIbarra@scsd.us Science teacher, requests funding of a bus to transport two teams of students to the Regional Envirothon Competition in Sherbourne NY.
Request: $400 Grant: $300
12) Shannon Rowe SRowe@scsd.us requests replacement of 20 old and ragged Spanish dictionaries.
Request: $283.36 ($12.88 per book) Grant: $150
13) Sara Zizzi SZizzi@scsd.us, English department, requests an itemized list of resources to aid teaching of literature, composition and grammar.
Request: $479.33 Grant: $200
14) Lori DiFlorio, LDiflorio@scsd.us, art teacher, requests studio lights for use in Art and Photography classes (details available)
Request: $405.45 Grant: $200
15) Ray Sturge, Music Dept., RSturge@scsd.us, requests Microphones and Phantom Power Supply to enhance music recording technology.
Request: $355.97 Grant: $200
16) Julie Sherman, Biology Dept., JSherman@scsd.us, submitted a plea from Crush and Sqirt, the Red Eared Sliders (turtles), the class mascots, for a larger fish tank (70 Gallon long) and various fixtures.
Request: $482.94 Grant: $200
17) Thomas Procopio, Physics teacher, TProcopio@scsd.us, requests 20 stop watches.
Request: $243.40 Grant: $150
18) Jodi Rowe, Business teacher,
JRowe@scsd.us, requests a
for the yearbook and other programs outside the Business
Request: $340 Grant: $160
Total Requests approx: $7,178
Total recommended: $3,449
Graduation Year |
2006 Grants | 2007 Grants | 2008 Grants | 2009 Grants | 2010 Grants | 2011 Grants | 2012 Grants | 2013 Grants
Updated: April 26, 2010
Graduation Year |